On behalf of the Federation of European Ergonomics Societies (FEES) R. Hoftijzer was present at “The European Social Model” joint seminar of the European Parliament and four European agencies/organizations. The title was The European Social Model “A key driver for competitiveness”. Besides the organisers European organisations like FEES could participate. More than 100 participants were present.
The organisers were:
- Committee on Employment and Social Affairs (EMPL) of the European Parliament (EP)
- European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (CEDEFOP)
- European Agency for safety and Health at Work (OSHA)
- European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions (EUROFOUND)
- European Training Foundation (ETF)
This was the second seminar organised by the European Parliament about the Social Model.
A general conclusions was that there will always be a role for the Social Model in Europe and for the involved European organisations in this area. Important is the cooperation between the different involved agencies/organisations. More and better education is also essential for the future of Europe.
The four agencies/organisations gave a short presentation about their involvement in the Social Model.
For the paneldicussion two questions were raised by the chairperson. The questions where:
1. How should the European Social Model evaluate in the future?
2. Which new ways of working and learning could contribute to the competion force of Europe?
In general terms and with a political background these questions were answered by members of a panel of the involved organisations and EP members of the EMPL.
In his closing addresss, the Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, László Andor, said that this seminar was a good example how European Agencies and European organisations could support the work of European Commission. What should be changed on the Social Model as a new challenge for the future of Europe. Solidarity between the memberstates is essential. Three points are essential:
- More changes for younger citizens
- Important moment in relation to the financial opportunities
- Good working conditions as aim for 2020 and involvement of employers/ employees